• 900 adults in the UK
• 8 re-writes of letter
• Online survey (Cloze comprehension test and self-report)
• Decreased the original word count by 65% (261 words to 91)
• Retained comprehension of letter (new 76.6% vs. 75.8%)
• Retained reading-ease (original 50.12 vs. 48.44)
Legal Expenses Insurance is usually an add-on bought with primary (car/work/house) insurance. If a customer thinks they have a legal case (e.g. Unfair dismissal) then provider will find specialist lawyers and pay fees directly (up to £50,000)
We captured various demographic data.
• All participants shown one version of letter only
• Time limited read of letter (3 mins minimum)
Then participants asked comprehension questions
• Cloze (Taylor, W. L., 1953) test in a ‘missing words in sentence’ structure.
Likert-scale non-timed questions
All letters and descriptions of product now follow the tested and proved layout, totaling thousands per month.
Legal expenses insurance is a market with a turnover in excess of 500,000 policies per month in the UK. Over 6 million people per year, every year, will be able to make a better-informed purchase decision – millions more customers taking millions fewer seconds and much less cognitive effort understanding their legal expenses insurance.
— #ogilvychange (@OgilvyChange) June 12, 2015