We test the strength that personal disposition has on behaviour.
This looks like standard research agency work. It’s different one key way – we don’t ask people what they think, we find out what they can’t normally articulate or crystallise about their assumptions and deep-seated attitudes.
- Semi-structured group interviews with chartered psychologists means we can quantify emotional experience and decode verbal and non-verbal behaviour
- EMOTIX© implicit attitude test from InnovationBubble is a method to understand the deep-seated responses to stimulus by ignoring slower, ‘thinking’ answers and focussing on reflexive quicker responses
- Journey mapping is a useful way to identify moments of pain, delight, confusion, and assumptions
We test the strength of the situation in guiding behaviour.
This looks like legacy split-headline/subject header marketing test, or more modern behavioural economics experiments – it is that exactly, and it is founded on the body of knowledge accrued and slots into the rest of our research.
- Randomised Control Trials and A/B testing of environment – an approach with which many are familiar
- Literature review (and possibly specialist interview) to make sure the approach is derived from and contributes to the complex model of human behavior
- We work in the virtual world of interface, the physical environment and architecture, and the cross-over between the two
3Intervention planning & execution
The balance of influence (how ‘the person’ and ‘the situation’ – in combination – influence behaviour) informs communication, whether that’s messages or architectural interventions.
Some clients prefer to use their established relationships for this part. That’s okay. A psychologically robust foundation is often welcomed.
- Knowing whether personal disposition or the situation in which the audience find themselves is the greater influence on behaviour is the best way of delivering a fully rounded understanding (e.g. littering is influenced approx 60% by age or ‘the person’, and 40% by distance from bin, or ‘the situation’)
- Knowing how behaivour is affected means we can work out the best solution be that based on cost, speed, ease, or scalability